- 1. A 36x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers a broad range of focal lengths from wide-angle 22.5mm through super-telephoto 810mm (equivalent with 35mm  format)
The camera's 36x zoom NIKKOR lens covers an incredible range of focal lengths from 22.5mm to 810mm (both equivalent with 35mm  format). So, not only is it capable of capturing wide-angle shots, but it also offers the highest optical zoom power in the history of the COOLPIX brand. Despite the amazing capability of the lens, the camera body is still small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.
2. Three functions that ensure superior image quality in both still images and movies, even at super telephoto zoom positions
- Backside illumination CMOS sensor
As light is more effectively received by the image sensor, even images captured at the maximum sensitivity setting of ISO 3200 exhibit significantly less noise.
- New EXPEED C2 dual image processors
Processing to correct a variety of types of aberration and to reduce noise enables recording of beautiful, high-resolution still images and clear full-HD movies.
- Image sensor shift + electronic vibration reduction (VR) function
Images captured with image sensor shift vibration reduction enabled are further processed with electronic VR for images that are sharper and exhibit less blur.
3. Full HD movie recording function with support for the capture of still pictures during recording
The camera is equipped with functions for recording full HD movies (1920 x 1080 pixels) with stereo sound. The entire optical zoom range, up to 36x, can be used and still images can be captured during recording. In addition, the P500 offers the same HS Movie function available with the P300. With the P500, users can enable and disable the HS Movie feature during recording of normal movies to emphasise determining moments, such as when a runner crosses the goal line, with slow-motion playback of portions recorded with HS Movie enabled. Full HD movies recorded with the camera can be played back on a TV with an HDMI connector, and the camera's support for the CEC feature for HDMI enables playback control using the TV's remote control.
4. A variety of shooting functions that enable capture of photos as intended
The camera is equipped with a number of shooting and in-camera image editing functions that allow users to enjoy mastering the camera with manual operations. In addition to [P] programmed auto, [A] aperture-priority auto, [S] shutter-priority auto, and [M] manual exposure modes, the camera offers a number of features that can be combined for maximum flexibility in expressing individual user creativity. Among these features are 8-fps high-speed continuous shooting at the maximum image size (12M 4000 x 3000), Filter Effects that can be applied with image playback, and an Easy Panorama function for capturing horizontal or vertical panorama photos.
- Filter Effects: Easily apply filter effects to photos already taken without using a computer. Soft, Selective Color, Cross Screen, Fisheye, and Miniature Effect are available.
- Easy Panorama: Easily create dynamic vertical or horizontal panorama photos. Angle of view can be selected from 180° (normal) and 360° (wide). The user need simply move the camera in the desired direction using the guides displayed, and the camera automatically recognises the direction in which shots should progress. Multiple shots are then combined in a single panorama photo.
5. Bright and clear 3-inch, approximately 921k-dot tilting TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle
Monitor display is bright and clear, making viewing images and applying settings easy, even under sunny skies or in rooms where light is reflected in the monitor. The high-resolution monitor accurately reproduces even the finest details in photos for more precise viewing, and the tilting mechanism supports shooting from a variety of angles. In addition, the expanded color reproduction range covers a broader range of colors for reproduction of almost the entire sRGB gamut.
6. User friendly operational controls
A new continuous shooting mode button has been positioned next to the shutter-release button to enable quick switching between Single and Continuous settings in P, S, A and M exposure modes. In addition, by positioning the side zoom control on the side of the lens, the camera can be held more securely with shooting, effectively reducing blur.
- Backside illumination CMOS sensor