1. Nikon optical technologies for stunning landscapes and night landscapes
- Fast, f/1.8 lens
A number of Nikon's optical technologies have been concentrated in the f/1.8 lens, resulting in the fastest* lens available with a compact digital camera.
- High refractive-index lens for a more compact body
By adopting a high refractive-index lens with a refractive index of 2.0 or higher, which compensates for both curvature of field and spherical aberration with a single lens element, a smaller and lighter camera was achieved. The lens also enables sharper rendering for higher contrast throughout the entire frame.
- 4.2x wide-angle zoom lens with built-in lens-shift vibration reduction (VR)
The lens covers focal lengths from the wide-angle 24mm to the telephoto 100mm (both equivalent with 35mm  format). The built-in VR function reduces blur with hand-held shooting and shooting at high sensitivities.
* Based on Nikon research as of February 9, 2011.
2. Backside illumination CMOS sensor enables capture of images exhibiting little noise at the high sensitivities required for night landscapes and pictures taken indoors under dim lighting
The camera is equipped with a backside illumination CMOS sensor with which each pixel receives light more efficiently for superior high-speed performance. Desired images are achieved with the specified scene mode through automatic adjustment of ISO sensitivity and/or shutter speed settings for high-speed capture of multiple shots that are then combined for beautiful night portraits and pictures taken under dim lighting, night landscapes, and backlit scenes.
- Night Landscape mode: When Night Landscape scene mode is selected, the camera automatically captures several shots at a fast shutter speed and then combines the shots to create a single optimised photo, preserving beautiful, high-quality photos of night landscapes, such as scenes including city or holiday lights, without using a tripod.
- Backlighting mode: When the HDR (high dynamic range) setting is enabled in Backlighting mode with shooting of high-contrast scenes, the camera captures three consecutive shots at varying exposure and combines the three for a single photo with no loss of detail in highlights or shadows, and a broader range of tones. Three HDR settings are available for selection according to the level of contrast exhibited by the scene.
3. A variety of shooting functions that enable capture of photos as intended
The camera is equipped with a number of shooting and in-camera image editing functions that allow users to enjoy mastering the camera with manual operations. In addition to [P] programmed auto, [A] aperture-priority auto, [S] shutter-priority auto, and [M] manual exposure modes, the camera offers a number of features that can be combined for maximum flexibility in expressing individual user creativity. Among these features are 8-fps high-speed continuous shooting at the maximum image size (12M 4000 x 3000), a Creative Slider and Special Effects for applying effects with shooting, Filter Effects that can be applied with image playback, and an Easy Panorama function for capturing horizontal or vertical panorama photos.
- Special Effects: Special effects can be applied with shooting, enabling users to capture photos with colors and tones that suit their intent. Soft, High Key, Low Key, Nostalgic Sepia and High-contrast Monochrome options are available.
- Filter Effects: Easily apply filter effects to photos already taken without using a computer. Cross Screen, Fisheye, Miniature Effect and Painting options are available.
- Easy Panorama: Easily create dynamic vertical or horizontal panorama photos. Angle of view can be selected from 180° (normal) and 360° (wide). The user need simply move the camera in the desired direction using the guides displayed, and the camera automatically recognises the direction in which shots should progress. Multiple shots are then combined in a single panorama photo.
4. Bright and clear 3-inch, approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle
A bright, approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with anti-reflection coating has been adopted. This enables clear viewing of beautiful, high-resolution images even outside on sunny days or inside a brightly lit room.
In addition, the expanded color reproduction range covers a broader range of colors for reproduction of almost the entire sRGB gamut.
5. Recording of full HD movies for which exposure and color settings, as well as optical zoom, can be applied
The camera is equipped with functions for recording full HD movies (1920 x 1080 pixels) with stereo sound. The Creative Slider and Special Effects can also be used with movies, and optical zoom can be applied or adjusted during movie recording. In addition, dramatic movies recorded using the HS Movie function can be played back in slow motion at 1/4 or 1/2 the normal playback speed, or in fast motion at twice the normal playback speed. Full HD movies recorded with the camera can be played back on a TV with an HDMI connector, and the camera's support for the CEC feature for HDMI enables playback control using the TV's remote control.
- Fast, f/1.8 lens